понеділок, 19 липня 2010 р.

Cameroon vs Equatorial Guinea

The working week is over and it is time to have a rest. I knew that there will be a qualifying football game between Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea in Yde. Besides many trainees who are currently I Cameroon would come as well. So I went.


Buca Voyage is the transportation Company carrying passengers from Dla to Yde. FCFA 2,500 for the ticket. 250 km between the two largest cities of the country. I am going with another trainee Colette from Cote'd'Ivore and Juanita MCVPPD originally from Canada.

On the road I was studying the landscape and the people around as well as learning some French with Colette. The road is actually very good.

Upon arriving to Yde, we went to the student part of the city called 'Cradat'. This is where LC Yaoundé resides and university students live. We eat, I drink a bottle of 0,65 liter bottle of beer. The beer in Cameroon is put into 0,6 or o,65 liter bottles. The beer is good and cheap – FCFA 500 (rate is about USD 1 for FCFA 500). On the way I was a bit hit by a taxi. You definitely need to be very careful on the roads of Cameroon, since there are no rules, and these no rules nobody follows. In Yde as opposed to Dla, the local government forbade to go by motorcycles in the city center.

Dla is crazy with motorcycles. LCP Yaoundé picks us up and we take a taxi to the stadium. The taxi stops few km from the stadium, since the police doesn't allow taxis further. We all walk wearing the shirts of the Cameroon national team. Suddenly the guy on a huge jeep stops and offers us a ride. He likes the fact that we were all wearing the shirts for the game and that he is proud of Cameroon. Things like that do not happen too often for free. So we feel delighted. Near the stadium, I see the Cameroonian priests who are blessing the team and the fans for the game. The priests wear Cameroonian flags as well. We get the cheapest tickets for FCFA 500, go through police check and finally to our seats. There are about 12 trainees from Germany, Holland, Nigeria, Estonia, UK, Cote'd'Ivore and local aiesecers seated already. The stadium holds about 32,000. And most of the stadium is full. Of course, everyone is paying attention to white people present at the stadium. But in general the people are not aggressive. I make fotos of everything wearing my Ukrainian national team scarf. When I show it to the Cameroonians they all scream – Chevchenko! That is what I understand by a word of football. If we did not have such a brilliant player, I would have a big time trouble explaining where I come from. The fans yell 'La but' which means 'goal'. Almost like Blok Yulii Tymoshenko.

The first half passed with the total dominance of Cameroon. They even scored two goals from the offside. I was explaining the rules of football to MCVPPD from Canada. During the break I left my seat, and it was taken by somebody. I and a guy from the Netherlands Jirin decide to go the upper sector. It is raining and the crowd goes wilder. We watch the game standing on the stairs in the company of some crazy fans who sing and scream all the time. Cameroon scored first goal and everyone is happy. The people from above noticed 2 white random monkeys and decided to greet us with some trash, i.e. plastic bottles, thanks god not glass, paper, and other interesting things. Unfortunately, for the people standing near us it was not very pleasant as most of the things were destined at them not at us. After the goal we decide to leave so as not to draw to much attention to ourselves. At our sector we cannot squeeze in so we stand near the tribune enjoying conversation. I suggest to leave 5 minutes before the end of the game and before all 32,000 happy fans will flood the streets of Yde. We leave the stadium and walk for about an hour to the next taxi pick up point. On the way I get to know trainees. Most of them are here for the development traineeships in Yde and in Beua. We get back to Cradat to eat.

We enjoy the healthy food (rice, fish) and beer at a nice local restaurant. Then we get together to go to clubbing. It is raining. Most of the ppl took showers and wore new clothes to look sweet and nice. Smart people like me did not. Because it I knew it will rain and I am going to be dirty, sweaty and wet in any case. We go to the club where the Cameroonian team celebrates the victory. The entrance fee is too much. But there is a free buffet near it. We enjoy excellent food and drinks for free! That does not happen very often in Cam.

Then we actually go to another club. Stopped by police. Checked the documents. As if we looked like gangsters! Then club finally. The entrance fee covers 3 bottles of Absolut vodka (1 l I think) some food and fun of course. Vodka! Dirty dances! Vodka! I teach how to drink straigt. Dirty dances! Dirty dances! Dirty dances!Vodka. Dirty dances! Dirty dances! Rosin. Sofa.

On Sunday we enjoyed afterparty chilling. Planned for the future. Pictures.

Dla. And Monday. Not bad for the first weekend.

середа, жовтня 11, 2006

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар